Skin problems are one of the imbalances that a pet home urine health test will not be directly helpful with, unfortunately. Usually the problem becomes apparent when the dog or cat is itching like crazy or developing bald spots or scabs somewhere on their body.
My cat Oliver used to have some problems on his paws years ago–he would lick and pull at the hair creating bald spots. I changed the kitty litter and the problem went away.
I did lots of research on skin problems during that time and learned some basic things:
1. The first outward sign of something wrong is excessive licking…so it is best to take action as soon as you notice that change in behavior.
2. A good diet (no animal byproducts) is critical.
3. The immune system is weakened during this time, so find a good supplement that will support the immune system and give it regularly.
4. Administering a vaccine during this time can make the problem worse.
5. Study some of the natural remedies for fleas and ticks and start them early before the flea season starts. I am investigating some of these now and hoping to find something that is effective. I will keep you posted.