Now there are even more reasons to be vigilant about reading labels on treats you give your dog.

There have been several recent warnings concerning certain brands of peanut butter that contain xylitol as a sweetener.

Although considered safe for people to consume, xylitol is EXTREMELY toxic to dogs. Even a very small amount can cause hypoglycemia, a dangerous drop in blood sugar. Outward symptoms are: weakness, disorientation, and seizures. Emergency medical treatment is needed at this point.

Many candies and chewing gums contain xylitol as well, so be careful if your dog likes to dig through your purse (Gus, are you listening??) or scavenger around the house.

An easy solution is to make your own salt free, xylitol free peanut butter. Your pup will thank you for it!